More and more people are turning to ingredients and products that support overall health and wellbeing, and phospholipid omega-3s are becoming a larger part of that conversation for many reasons. We all need phospholipid omega-3s as they are essential for our health at every stage of life, playing an important role in many processes in our bodies. Globally we are deficient in phospholipid omega-3s, and that puts us at risk for a whole host of health issues.
Krill oil contains omega-3 fatty acids, but also phospholipids, choline and astaxanthin.
Krill oil, health benefits from head to toe
Krill oil is traditionally well-known for its heart health properties, but recent research suggests that it has a multitude of benefits beyond heart health. In fact, since krill oil is a natural phospholipid complex of omega-3 and choline, it acts more as a multi-nutrient supplement.
In fact, krill oil’s phospholipid bound omega-3s and choline are important for brain, joint and liver health, and even have beneficial effects on skin hydration and muscle activation in sports performance!
Krill oil has proven benefits for whole body health:
- Skin Health: Omega-3s play a role in maintaining the hydration and elasticity of the skin.
- Joint Health: Omega-3s play an important role in modulating inflammation in the body, which can have a crucial impact in protecting our joints throughout life.
- Brain Health: Phospholipids assist in the transportation of omega-3 DHA across the blood brain barrier.
- Eye Health: Omega-3s are especially important to help keep your eyes healthy, with the highest concentration of DHA in the body found in the retina.
- Liver Health: Choline is important for maintaining healthy liver function and aid in the proper metabolism of fat.
- Heart Health: Krill oil has shown to have beneficial effects related to heart health , such as lowering fasting triglyceride levels which is a risk factor for coronary heart disease.
4 key nutrients make all the difference
As a marine phospholipid complex, krill oil’s multitude of benefits comes from its health promoting nutrients: omega-3 (EPA & DHA), phospholipids, choline and astaxanthin.
Phospholipid omega-3s EPA & DHA are known as essential fatty acids or “the good fats”. They are also some of the most widely researched nutrients making them important in the health and wellness space.
Phospholipids are natural integral parts of all our cells and are essential to our health. They are sometimes referred to as the “molecule of life” helping to maintain the strength, flexibility, and integrity of cells and cell membranes.
Krill oil also naturally contains choline, an essential nutrient for overall health and healthy body function. In fact, choline helps supports vital organs such as the heart, muscles, and liver, but like omega-3s, choline needs to be obtained from our diet. With support from supplementation with krill oil, you can aim to reach your optimum levels.
Finally, krill oil contains astaxanthin, a natural antioxidant that gives krill oil its red color. It naturally protects krill oil from oxidation and eliminates the need to add artificial preservatives.
The power of phospholipids
Our body is composed of trillions of cells and each cell is wrapped in a membrane called the phospholipid bilayer that provides structure, enables nutrient uptake, energy production and countless vital functions, that form the basis for life.
What really sets krill oil apart from other marine based omega-3s is that it is naturally rich in these phospholipids. Krill oil’s phospholipids ensure superior transport, delivery, and integration of omega-3s and choline directly into the cell’s bilayer. Healthy cells equal a healthy body and the krill oil phospholipid advantage helps promote whole body health benefits.
There is no question that krill oil provides head to toe benefits, plus it’s sustainable and traceable.